Subject: [Leica] Kangaroo Island?
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 01:20:19 -0700

> The last population figures I could find for KI were:
> 1.5 million sheep; 1 million Tammar Wallabies; 15000 koalas; thousands of
> tiger snakes, etc A human population of 4000.

And 3 kangaroos, 2 of which are road kill.

I talked to a family that had been camping in the backpacker lodge in the
Hanson Bay Wildlife Sanctuary for 5 days and had yet to see any species that
had ever been used as the prototype for a stuffed animal. It's obvious that
they've exported all of the edible wildlife to Victoria so they could plant
more wine grapes.

There are, however, a vast number of llamas. I've probably seen 2500 llamas
in the last 48 hours. Something tells me they are not indigenous.

On my way home I'm going to stop at the Sydney zoo so I can see a kangaroo.

Replies: Reply from Clive at moss.net (Clive Moss) ([Leica] Kangaroo Island?)
Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Kangaroo Island?)
Message from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Kangaroo Island?)