Subject: [Leica] Pocket cameras
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 10:50:05 -0500

On Mar 5, 2009, at 2:40 AM, Henning wrote:

> I've recently started using the Canon G10 after trying various other
> cameras, and have found it to be the best so far. It's fairly
> responsive if set up right, has good battery life and shoots RAW
> fairly quickly. Image quality is quite decent,

At last some common sense about pocket cameras. I've had it with the
new ultra tiny digitals too small to sport optical viewfinders. You
younger guys can't imagine how difficult it is to use a TFT screen if
you wear bifocals. First you have to look at the scene to be
photographed through the distance portion of your eyeglasses, then
bob your head to view the screen on the camera, then look at the
scene again to make sure nothing has changed, then the viewing screen
- - -   After bobbing you head up and down like a pigeon you
eventually get to take the picture. My wife, on the other hand is far
sighted. She finds that her arms are too short to see the viewing
screen comfortably. Watching her take pictures is amusing. She stalks
around with the camera, arms straight out as far as she can reach and
head tipped back to get enough viewing distance.

Photography in bright sunlight with one of the tiny viewing screen
cameras is another joke. The screen washes out entirely with only
vague hints of an image. The best strategy seems to be to point the
camera in the general direction of the subject, with the lens set to
its broadest field of view, and trust that you will be able to crop
the resulting picture to get the image you wanted.

As far as I have been able to determine, only Canon and Sony still
feature real optical viewfinders on some of their P&S digital
cameras. And those are disappearing rapidly. Tiny cameras should be
made to hold up to the eye, as God intended. Now if Leica would only
produce a digital CL at a reasonable price, my fondest wish would be
fulfilled.

Larry Z