Subject: [Leica] Photoshopped fashion images
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 21:31:23 -0400

The problem of altered images has bothered scientists as well as
fashion aware health professionals. An article in Science magazine
has suggested that for every enhanced image in a scientific
publication, the original, unaltered image be included in the online
scientific data supporting the article. This will allow the authors
to enhance their images for clarity and emphasis of specific points
without being accused of manipulating the findings, Interested
readers will be able to view the "raw data" and judge the scientific
validity of the enhanced image for themselves. Examples of altered
images are the artificial colors in scenes from the Mars Rovers,
astronomical photos where colors are used to indicate the
distribution of elements, medical photos where various hues represent
tissue density. By imposing this requirement for all images,
regardless of the amount or type of editing, ambiguity as regards
literary license is removed.

I'm not sure how this requirement could be met for Vogue or Elle
except to have a website where the unaltered images could be viewed.
But I'm sure the pretty models would object to having their unaltered
selves displayed in public.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Photoshopped fashion images)