Subject: [Leica] Soft release
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:17:53 -0400

On Mar 23, 2009, at 5:35 PM, Jim wrote:

> I've never used an M, so I can't comment on their soft release
> characteristics.  However, I have, and currently am using one on my
> Barnack
> cameras.  The soft release shown in the link below was on my IIIa
> when I
> purchased it in 1952.  It currently resides on my IIIf RD. While I
> have
> heard others say that similar devices caused their button to stick,
> mine has
> worked flawlessly for more than fifty years.  The additional height
> helps in
> keeping the finger from dragging the shutter speed dial, and the
> concave
> shape of the top gives excellent control of the button itself.
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Soft+Release+for
> +Barnacks.jpg.html

Your original Leica soft release is indeed a jewel. I had one on a
IIIb that unfortunately got stolen. It screwed on the threaded flange
that surrounds the shutter button. The release contains an internal
spring that assists in depressing the somewhat stiff button. The
higher lip of the soft release prevents accidental operation.
Unfortunately the M cameras have no threads around the shutter
button, just a threaded hole in the button for a cable release.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Soft release)
Reply from leica at ralgo.nl (leica) ([Leica] Soft release)