Subject: [Leica] OT: CV 15/4.5 in Nikon F Mount
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:32:30 -0700

>Yep, Leonard's right. I just checked the D3 manual. Mirror goes down
>after photo is taken. Funny thing, 30 sec into Mirror Lockup if the
>shutter is not pressed, the camera will take a photo a release the
>mirror. Only other mirror lock up is for cleaning the sensor only.
>
>Damn.
>
>Chris

You'll also have VERY severe vignetting problems. See what the 15
does on the RD-1 without the software correction, and extrapolate
that into the corners. You'll be down 8-10 stops in the corners on a
D3, and have an equivalent drop in dynamic range.

Tom Abrahamsson has (had) one, as well as the 12 for Nikon and while
they worked about as well on the Nikons - he had it on an F - they
had the other downsides of the wideangle lenses that needed
mirror-up. Somewhat clumsy handling due to aperture and focussing
being right at the front, and a finder that was even more off-axis
than on RF cameras.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design