Subject: [Leica] OT: CV 15/4.5 in Nikon F Mount
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:56:53 -0700

At 1:45 PM -0400 3/30/09, Leonard Taupier wrote:
>The 13mm, the two 15mm's and the 18mm are retrofocus rectilinears
>and can be used on todays digital bodies. The old 10mm that you
>remember is a fisheye and requires the mirror lock up. I have been
>tracking the prices of these wide angle lenses and am thinking about
>getting the 15mm f3.5. It has no distortion where the new AFS
>14-24mm zoom has some barrel at 14mm. The AF 14mm has a lot of
>distortion and vignetting on a digital FF body.  The 13mm is very
>rare and if you find one may cost thousands. A clean 15mm is between
>$900 and $1200 which is why I perked up at Chris's post. However I
>couldn't find the CV 15 F mount on Gandy's site either.
>
>Len

Hi Len,

I still have my 15/3.5 Nikkor, and while it's quite decent I wouldn't
get too excited about it. It has very little distortion, but it's not
zero either, and it does have flare issues. When the 14's came out in
the 90's I looked at them but decided that none were that great in
comparison so never got one.

Now I have a 12-24 Sigma for my FF Canons and am reasonably happy
with that. As with all Sigmas, QC is terrible but mine works
reasonably and I'm able to get images with no more, and generally
less distortion than the 15 Nikkor, and a lot less flare. The only
thing is that for good quality I have to shoot at f/11 or so.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw at archiphoto.com