Subject: [Leica] Pictures from an exhibition
From: nod at bouncing.org (Philip Clarke)
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 09:08:32 +0100

No because the night time ones and the tree on the first page are
spot-on. Pages 3 and 4 also all tend to be better (in my opinion with
regards to "printing") than 1 and 2, I do like quite hard images though,
I used to use Neopan 400 processed in ID-11 or Rodinal (if it was
pushed) and I'd be printing at grade 4, and Neopan had an exceptionally
good tonal range . I don't have a recent version of photoshop but one
thing that always surprised me was that there was no "hard/ soft" button
so that you could knock and image up and down the scale rather than
fiddling with contrast. In my vesion (7.0) you can adjust a colour cast
separately (with a slider) for the highlight, mid-tones and shadows, but
not the contrast, although I admit I may not have found the right button
or menu as I can work with curves.

Also photoshop is "wrong", in that if I were in a darkroom I'd have a
neg that would take 15 seconds for and overall print, maybe 7 second
holding back some shadow detail and an extra 15 secs burning in the
highlight. So that would be 50% of the shadows and 100% on the
highlights. Although photoshop was supposed to ease the conversion from
the darkroom to digital if you ever burn in 100% on the highlight and
doge the shadows by 50% it looks abysmal. I believe this maybe that
digital is a straight line even if you have bumpy levels whereas paper
had an exposure curve so could be pre-flashed to make it act in a more
linear fashion. Also intensity of light from a darkroom enlarger works
that the intensity drops off in a 1/r squared fashion (buggered if I can
remember the would might be /reciprocal///)// as you move the head up
(with r being the radius of a projected circle). Digital is a strange
beast but then so is analogue, you half the amount of light by stopping
down which is turning the aperture dial to the next value in a
progresion of doubling root 2 (1.4.1, 2, 2.82, 4 etc...), sorry
wittering now.

Anyway the Missionary Nurse in Malawi in colour, she is spot on on my
monitor, the habit is white and detailed, she is "black", but the man
sitting in the bar, he is dark grey almost "black", yet the night and
snow shots are certainly "black", so I think my monitor is pretty good
and it maybe personal preference.