Subject: [Leica] Picture of the Year Controversy
From: dnygr at cshore.com (Douglas Nygren)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 08:16:27 -0400

I'm sure there were also photos rejected because the judges thought
they felt the images were too little photoshopped. They probably
thought some of the photos from negatives had too much or too little
color depending on the film used.

A different set of judges might have felt differently. Contests are
always crap shoots. You never be certain how the judges will feel.

Personally, I'd throw all the photos out that were photoshopped, mine
included. I love the control Photoshop offers, but I feel the machine
distances me from what I'm doing. In the darkroom, I understand the
connection between what I do and what I get. With Photoshop, I have no
idea how the patch function performs its magic. I can manipulate it,
but the machine does it, not me. It's about as satisfying as painting
by numbers.

Doug