Subject: [Leica] LUG Assignment #2
From: nod at bouncing.org (Philip Clarke)
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 01:21:43 +0100

I like the ideas very much, if you want to push what you feel
comfortable with, then I feel:

10 random portraits of strangers in a day.

no candids, all with the subject fully aware, this is "normal" for
newspaper guys but a little more tricky when you've got no authority.

Other things that are tricky for me (having done news) is to illustrate
concepts:

Death
Life
Scary
Comfortable
Happiness

not "emotions" which I find easy because a concept forces the
photographer to bring their own emotions on the subject. Having done
famine, war, disease etc... when I use a camera it's an emotional shield
so I documented other people's experiences. Those previous 5 are things
that I do not currently believe I could photograph as a concept. I found
out yesterday that I am not "damaged goods" in this respect, I was at a
children's birthday party talking to a female child portrait
photographer (she was there with her son) and she too cannot enjoy a
party or event if she is a guest and has a camera, because then she
finds herself switching off and looking at angles, exposure, expressions
to give the best picture rather than experiencing the party.