Subject: [Leica] Nathan's Book List
From: ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 16:34:36 -0400

So the value of art and skill of the artist is to be judged by who
paid for the initial production

A patron stocking a warehouse gives greater value to the object.

No doubt the model has worked that way for generations. What makes
this discussion clumsy is being part of a transitional generation. We
have experience with the old way of judging--finding a someone willing
to pay the cost of publication was the first cut in defining excellence.

That is changing now--and will change even more in the immediate future.

Soon we may stop asking painters who bought their paint for them.
Perhaps we will honor them more if the McArthur Foundation buys their
paint, but they will not produce better at or be better artists for
the distinction.

Best art is not always award winning and vice versa. Perhaps the
"vanity press" epithet will give way as the publishing world changes
with the time.

We give more credence to bloggers paid by the New York Times than
those who blog on their own. Often, it is deserved, but not
necessarily so. It is a feather in their hat , but not the final
judgement on the worth of their words.

Ric Carter

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Nathan's Book List)
Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Nathan's Book List)