Subject: [Leica] LOOKING TO BUY NEW PRINTER
From: mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope)
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 13:40:18 +0100

FWIW, here's my 0.2p worth...

We replaced our 2400 with a 3800 when the 2400 died.
I was initially reluctant to look at another Epson printer as the 2400
had a number of non-user-replacable components that had gone end of life.
So I initially looked at the HP B3180 printer.  Then someone on another
photo forum suggested looking at the 3800 because the ink costs were
substantially lower than for either a 2400, 2880 or HPB3180 printer.

I did some sums and posted the results on my blog, which you can see
here http://www.monomagic.co.uk/blog/?p=39 if you are interested.

I think the cost differences between a 2880 and 3800 will be greater
than thos shown on my blog pages as the cartridges hold less ink than
the HP cartridges.

Agreed, the 3800 is a big printer, but in terms of desk space, it takes
up about the same space as a 2400 with Permajet CIS.

We've had the 3800 now since October last yea and I've only just had to
replace one of the cartridges (light black IIRC)  We've made 250+ A4
prints (9x6 image area), plus over 20 A3 (12X8 image area prints.
The quality of the prints is superb.  And I have the option of going to
A2+ when I want to or have images that justify it...

If you can fit the printer into your house, I'd say "go for it".

Mark Pope,
Swindon, Wilts
UK

Homepage               http://www.monomagic.co.uk