Subject: [Leica] Intro & question: part 2
From: mingthein at gmail.com (Thein Onn Ming)
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 10:12:17 +0800

Sharpening in camera when shooting RAW only affects the LCD preview,
NOT the final image (unless you use DPP which reads the settings
embedded in the RAW file).

IIRC, the 50D has a better LCD than the 40D.

On Jun 2, 2009, at 9:14 AM, Jayanand Govindaraj wrote:

> Increasing sharpness in the menu does translate into sharper
> photographs on the LCD screen, though if you are shooting RAW you can
> always reverse it in the conversion software. I always shoot RAW, and
> I always leave a modicum of sharpening on in the camera. The LCD
> screens on the current crop of SLR offerings are big and bright, and
> pretty good.
> Cheers
> Jayanand
> p.s. I have behaved myself and not mentioned any particular brand
> (-: !!!
>
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 6:35 AM, Henning Wulff
> <henningw at archiphoto.com> wrote:
>> For a number of years now my SLR needs have been met by Canons. At
>> present I
>> use among others a 40D. What annoys me most about it is that the
>> screen at
>> the back really doesn't help me much with how sharp the photo is
>> that I just
>> took or am taking. It always displays quite mushy. Yet when I take a
>> technically decent shot, bring it into the computer and look at
>> it, it's OK.
>> It's that damned screen image!
>>
>> I was very disappointed at first when I switched over from the 20D
>> to the
>> 40D, as the 20D with it's small screen actually gave a much more
>> accurate
>> impression of the shot, especially when magnified. The strange
>> thing is that
>> the 5D, and now the 5D MkII, show quite sharp images on playback.
>> It just
>> seems to be the 40D. Whenever the 60D?? comes out I'll have a look
>> and if
>> the screen on playback shows the scene better, I'll get it
>> immediately.
>>
>> BTW, increasing the sharpness in the menus doesn't do a thing when
>> shooting
>> RAW. I don't know and don't care about jpeg shots.

THEIN Onn Ming
*photohorologer ming at www.mingthein.com
www.flickr.com/mingthein

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Intro & question: part 2)