Subject: [Leica] Why Leicas with Nazi symbols should be trashed,
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 08:55:32 +0530

Douglas,
I am sure that an ordinary Hindu would not mind carrying a camera with a
swastika at all - in all probability, he will be totally ignorant of the
Nazi connection. There are a lot of Hindus, Buddhists and Jains in the
world!

Its all a question of the winners who write history and influence the
thinking of the succeeding generations - the 'good' guys and the 'bad' guys
is only your point of view, it is seldom very clear cut, except to a
propaganda machine. Mao killed a lot more of his citizens than Hitler did,
but none of us think twice about buying Chinese made goods, essentially made
under the same regime. Don't you have the same revulsion when you walk into
Wal Mart?

Multinational firms have traditionally been remarkably free of ethical
considerations relative to the boss' bonus, i.e. the bottom line. A lot of
the consumer items you buy have been made in Gulag like working conditions
all over the world. There are companies who have marketed infant food in
Asia & Africa that had been banned in Europe and the USA. Food grains are
destroyed and burnt to keep prices up for farmers, rather than send it free
to the hungry all over the world.  Is that not revolting? Will you boycott
such companies/regimes? Or just pay lip service?

Cheers
Jayanand