Subject: [Leica] Why Leicas with Nazi symbols should be trashed,
From: charlie at droolassicpark.com (Charlie Meyer)
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 08:16:18 -0400

I can emphasize with Nathan's revulsion over swastikas on Leicas. I
share it from a purely historical perspective; the closest I got was
asking why a childhood pal's sickly Polish immigrant Mom had a number
tattoo on her forearm in the 1960s. NO nation on earth has ever
suffered as much as Poland did under the bearers of that symbol.  I'm
relatively new to Leicadom (and back again with a IIIf as it's a hard
habit to break!), but the only Leica with that symbol I have ever seen
was on Stephen Gandy's site...and that example was gaudy enough to
certainly be called a tasteless afterthought or a fake. Hans Frank,
the Plenipotentiary for the Generalgovernment (Poland 'ceased to
exist' in 1939), on the gallows at Nuremburg said that the acts by him
and his ilk would be a permanent stain on Germany. The Nazis are all
but gone. Poland, though it's suffering from tyranny would remain for
half a century later, would remain and ultimately flourish long after
its' oppressors demise to the dustbin of history.  Decades later, we
would learn of how E. Leitz Wetzlar moved come of its' Jewish
employees offshore to safety. The overriding evil cannot be dismissed,
nor should it ever be. Peoples are not evil.

Alas, the symbol is ancient in other cultures, a fact that also has to
be considered. However, the Nazis made it into a enduring symbol of
the worst in human barbarity, and in turn, should never be forgotten.

If there are swastika-marked Leicas, they belong in a museum to remind
all of a terrible chapter of history. Never Again!

Meanwhile, back to the concept, engineering, and use of these cameras
that possess us.

Charlie