Subject: [Leica] Friday Flowers -- well, buds, anyway....
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 19:30:48 -0700

Gary Dalton showed:

Gilroy -- with nothing but a Yashica Electro 35 G rangefinder (circa 1970)
in the car to record the moment.

The shot isn't anything special, but the congregation of artichoke buds
certainly are, especially for those who have never seen an artichoke before.

As it turns out, these buds were never picked. The field was not irrigated
and the beautiful purple flowers never emerged from the buds. The bud is a
culinary delicacy, but the flowers are a feast for the eyes.

At, say, one dollar per 'choke or more, a few dollars were left to waste in
this field....

http://filmuser3.smugmug.com/gallery/7715620_Fi9gb/1/581147359_Na3Tj
<http://filmuser3.smugmug.com/gallery/7715620_Fi9gb/1/581147359_Na3Tj%3c%3c%
3c%3c%3c%3c%3c%3c%3c> <<<<<<<<<

Hi Gary,

I  have to ask a question because there is so much potential for an
interesting picture, so I have to ask. No offense intended. Particularly
when we've seen the quality of  your Friday flowers which are interesting
photographs with imagination of angle, light etc..

OK here is the question?

I suppose you might look at this as an editor who has no idea of the field
surroundings, size, if roadways or pathway etc. in the sense of changing the
angle to shoot from? Given the sunlight is full "frontal" so to speak, it
creates flat light and merely lights the subject. That's all.

To create a photo with greater impact and quite probably a more interesting
one? Was it possible to go to the right (as we look at the screen ) and walk
or drive in the direction we are looking. In other words you would be on the
immediate right side of the field where the effect of the sun would have
created shadows from all those buds and leaves, probably creating a stronger
impact of size and visual effect of field & buds. Something like "shooting
from the shadow side?"

Over to you. Thank you.

Cheers,

ted