Subject: [Leica] What is Rosetta
From: h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:36:05 -0700 (PDT)

We talked about this once, when you were here, and I'm not sure you know why
I think its important to make that histogram adjustment in the scan.

I actually agree that Photoshop it where it's at for massaging the the
image, and think that manipulating the scan, with color tweaks, unsharp
mask, etc. is pointless. Wait until its in PS.

BUT (and I could be totally wrong and deluded) I think its really important
to get a scan that has the histogram spread end to end, without a long flat
toe at either end. Or worse, scanning a histogram that has a false spike
from getting a black from outside of the edge of the image.

The scan is going to give you 256 slices of greyscale, but if 15 slices at
the black end are empty, and 21 at the highlight end, then instead of
getting 256 slices of grey you're only getting 220. You're giving up range.
You want to spread that graph end to end, get your full 256.

For me it's exactly analogous to test stripping a neg in the enlarger: You
want to know at how many seconds your shadows start to clump, and at how
many seconds your brightest white starts to take tone. The time in between
is the range you have to work with, and you can't go over or under.