Subject: [Leica] Rab's 12" Powerbook G4 monitor darks are darkening
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 15:09:17 -0400

2009-07-20-01:29:22 Mark Rabiner:
> Looks like I win a new computer!!!!!
> Welcome to the second decade of the new millennium Rabs!

Well, here's the good thing: it's crazy just how much faster the newer
Intel-based Macs are than the G4-based ones.  And usually by usung less
power, to boot.  And not just to boot.

> Those iMac's you can't work them in the airplane but you could work them in
> a motel room could you not? Be much better for Photoshop and or video?
> The ones which look like monitors but are really computers?

They're certainly speedier for the dollar and I believe just plain
speedier than the laptops (partly because of the particular CPU models
chosen and the associated cache; partly, I think, because they stuff
desktop-class rather than laptop-class hard disks inside).  It all
depends on how often you'd need to haul one around -- you'd need to
figure out how to pack one up for transit (I guess the original box
would work until it wore out) with, of course, the keyboard and rodent.

Macbook or iMac, I expect you'll want to make sure the display uses the
newfangled white-LED backlighting instead of the classic funny little
fluorescent tubes.  LEDs are much more resistant to changing color
balance and brightness as they age.  But maybe that change has already
been made all the way through the Mac line by now.  They were certainly
moving in that direction the last time I looked.

 -Jeff

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Rab's 12" Powerbook G4 monitor darks are darkening)