Subject: [Leica] 4/3's lens firmware updates
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:13:45 +0100

Hi Mark,
whilst it is clear that bigger is better it seems to be inappropriate
to compare a digital sensor to a piece of film of the same size. Even
though the technology had not reached the streets yet Olympus believed
that a 4/3 size digital sensor would at least match a frame of 35mm
(Barnack size) film for quality. Whilst there are still loads of film
shooters who love doing it, fair enough, there are only a tiny
minority of people who stick to the idea that film equals or exceeds
digital capture, and the data does not support them. Minox results are
much worse than my P&S with the tiny sensor.
So, if the level of quality you were satisfied with in film was 35mm
then 4/3 probably matches that. OTOH I quite agree that the cameras
were a bit big, but I presume that this was because of the reasoning
which Olympus used from the outset with digital capture with
telecentric lenses, which are (much) bigger and heavier than a
conventional lens of the same focal length. They provided a relatively
huge lens mount diameter to allow these lenses.
This extreme position seems either to have been technically
unnecessary, or unacceptable for marketing even if technically true,
hence micro and all the recent small non-telecentric lenses.
If normal style lenses are acceptable the 4/3 system should have the
benefit of smaller lenses which are cheaper because of the smaller
image circle. 4/3 may still become a smaller less expensive
alternative, even though it certainly is not at the moment.
Frank