Subject: [Leica] Apples vs. Dells vs. Lenovos vs. etc. Twin Floppies
From: charlie at droolassicpark.com (Charlie Meyer)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 17:16:20 -0400

Ah, somebody else remembers the early flybacks that didn't toe the
line of Steve Jobs' 'Reality Distortion Field' about computers not
needing cooling fans. Been there, done that, paid the few hundred
bucks to replace a dead one a couple dozen years ago. Despite the
biggest ego either side of the San Andreas Fault, His Steveness is no
Oskar Barnack. My iMac G5 fan is running at full speed, Steve is
freshly back terrorizing One Infinity Loop after replacing one of his
internal parts he had long taken for granted.  :-p

Natural circulation did work better elsewhere. The attack submarine
USS Narwhal (SSN-671) had the natural circulation S5G reactor, keeping
it quiet enough for a regular series of trips 'Up North', which we
Cold War submariners referred to trips 'going where we weren't
supposed to go, doing what we weren't supposed to do' . Other folks
knew the place by a different name: the Barents Sea. Narwhal was one
of the last of the Sturgeon 637 class SSNs decommissioned.  She was
supposed to be a museum submarine (albeit with a plug in place of the
reactor compartment) but I'm not sure whether folks understood how
expensive even decommissioned submarines are to maintain. They must
not own Leicas. Parche, the highly modified Sturgeon class SSN special
projects boat, was so highly classified, that no time was wasted after
its' decommissioning to run it through the Submarine Recycling Program
into scrap. As we used to joke, your wife is shaving her legs with the
well-travelled high-tensile steel these days.

Any old users of the original all-in-one Macs worry about carpal
tunnel syndrome from swapping diskettes? Made loading film in a
screwmount look like a trivial exercise. The expensive external
diskette drive was some, but not much help as software bloat set in. I
thought the development of the first 5 MEGABYTE external hard disk
units was heaven sent.  Gigabytes were likely to be found somewhere in
the subterranean levels of the NSA back then methinks.

I recently bought one of those Intel Atom CPUed HP netbooks. Spent
enough time last week being shuttled round support offices in
Bangalore or Hyderabad to be tempted to call the Indian Embassy for
permission to have my ashes scattered in the Ganges were I to expire
on hold.  I think I talked to Apple tech support (in the US)
twice...over twenty odd years. At least I got solutions then, not a
backup DVD of the XP load that I got in the FedEX envelope last week
when my query strayed from their script. Ubantu here I come. Not
Macs...by any stretch, but cheaper than the original Mac external
diskette drive. The cheap netbooks actually fit Steve Jobs' early
vision of very limited modification/upgrade capabilities. Disposable
when obsolete in short order, but a tenth of the 1985 cost. There is a
scheme out there which supposedly has the HP netbook running Mac OS X
when I get fearless enough, but my repair acumen ends with tidying an
Imarect. Colorful four-lettered words to make a sailor blush from that
adventure...and I was a sailor.

Nearly six decades after it left the workbenches at Wetzlar, my IIIf
still works! Take that Apple, Dell, Lenovo et ux!

Charlie