Subject: [Leica] Revised BOATING PAD #12 - Version 4 of "Underway"
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor)
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 19:39:52 -0400

Mark - I tried your suggestion of pulling down the blacks hard to try
and retain more detail in the whites without losing the brilliance of
the original.  In a few words, it didn't work.  The highlights didn't
gain much in the way of detail and the overall image looked sadly gray
even after compensating exposure and/or highlight adjustments.

So, I went for a direct hit on the highlights.  Without adjusting the
exposure at all, I reduced the Highlight slider in Lightroom as much
as it would allow, then tweaked the exposure up slightly to make the
overall photo more brilliant and finally, as an added touch, brought
the blue luminance slider down by -33 to add some detail to the sky.
This time I felt no need to warm the image up at all.

Overall this retains the brilliant light I remember from that day on
the water and has resulted in a much improved image, IMHO.  Thanks for
pushing me to work on it.

Wadda' ya' think?

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2009_boating_pad/Version+4_300_4001.jpg.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/nxz58v

Regards,

Dick

Richard S. Taylor                       Phone: (617) 495-7460
Manager, IR Astronomy Group             Fax:   (617) 495-7490
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory   Cell:  (617) 719-8834

"Information included in this message may fall under the control of
the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) issued by the
U.S. Department of State.  Export or Transfer of this information to a
Foreign Person or foreign entity requires an export license issued by
the U.S. Department of State or an ITAR exemption to the license
requirement prior to the export or transfer."

Regards,

Dick

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] Revised BOATING PAD #12 - Version 4 of "Underway")
Reply from mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope) ([Leica] Revised BOATING PAD #12 - Version 4 of "Underway")