Subject: [Leica] drobo question
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 18:11:22 -0400

At 05:54 PM 8/2/2009, you wrote:
>2009-08-02-17:08:03 Tina Manley:
> > That's one thing that worries me because I had always set my JBOD up
> > year by year and when I've filled one year, I retire those hard
> > drives to use for reference only.  I guess that's not possible with
> > RAID or Drobo?  How do you retire older files?  Is that possible or
> > do you have to fill everything totally up and start over?  I'd rather
> > do it year by year.  My LightRoom catalogues are year by year also.
>
>What's your criterion for retirement of files?  Are these still good
>files of pictures you just aren't currently accessing often, or ...?

Yes, it's files I've worked on for the past year.  My LR catalogues
are by year.  I'm sure I could combine them all into one and LR would
still manage to access them just as quickly with its Find feature,
but I'm still nervous about putting all of my eggs into one
basket.  Each year's worth of photos, filed as DNGs only, is about
1T.  Thanks to LR, I no longer have to keep multiple files of tiffs
and jpegs for various purposes.

   * When you "retire" a set of data, copy it to another drive outside
>     the array, store that as you would your usual "retired" drives, and
>     delete the data you just copied from the RAID volume.

I could do that.  I hope to learn more from the new listserve about
how I should keep active and inactive files.

Thanks

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com