Subject: [Leica] Death of photojournalism
From: rhart76 at gmail.com (Roger Hart)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 16:48:43 -0400

I don't think the recent, rapid technological changes in photography, or
image capture or whatever you want to call it, are as responsible for the
what some are deeming the "death of photojournalism," as is the state of the
economy. I do believe there is still a deep interest in quality photography,
but the publications that used to assign photographers and buy their
photographs, can longer do so. With pressure from internet sites forcing
traditional media outlets to abandon long-standing methods of doing
business, everyone has gotten squeezed in the process. The downturn in the
economy has only exacerbated an already volatile situation.

In regard to the comments about cellphone cameras and point-and-shoots, we
must remember there has always been a market for once-in-a-lifetime photos
regardless of how they were shot. A tiny camera attached to a shoe to
photograph an execution or a point-and-shoot capturing an engine falling off
an airliner about to crash. The subject matter would almost always trump
image quality.

But, I do believe there is still a great need for these story tellers who
with their cameras, loaded with film or memory cards, go out into the world
and bring back amazing stories. How the photojournalists will be paid for
their efforts must still be sorted out, as right now, no one wants to pay
for internet sites. But that too, I believe, will change with time. There
also could be opportunities for high-quality printed magazines to thrive
again, as they could be viewed as real luxury items...holding something in
your hand as opposed to reading it on a screen.

So I'm not convinced that photojournalism is dead. I was a faithful
practioner of the art for 20 years, and while the profession is undergoing a
revolution, as long as there are stories to tell, there will be story
tellers grabbing their cameras, and there will be those who want to read the
stories.

Roger Hart
Detroit
USA