Subject: [Leica] Death of photojournalism
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 21:15:17 -0400

 On Aug 9, 2009, at 8:52 PM, Steve Barbour wrote:

>> from NYT...
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/10/business/media/10photo.html?_r=1
>>

>> does anyone see an opportunity for rejuvenation?

----------

The demise of photojournalism is a natural concomitant of technical advances
in image making. I groaned when automatic everything cameras obsoleted all
my hard won knowledge of focusing, setting exposure, and adjusting shutter
speeds. I moaned when digital cameras obsoleted my darkroom skills. Now the
creative aspects of photography have been diminished as well. The public
cares little for nicely composed images. Just the facts, mam. With 50
million picture capable cell phones in the hands of the US public and
another hundred million world wide, it is almost a certainty that someone
will capture an image of every newsworthy event. The riots in Iran and the
hanging of Saddam Hussein are two cases in point. No professional
photojournalist was there for the hanging and few were on site in Iran. But
the cell phone images ran in the papers and on TV.

Two hundred years ago, if you wanted a picture of grandmother on the wall,
you hired a portrait painter. Affluent Dutch merchants hired Rembrandt.
Where are the portrait painters today? Replaced by photographers. And now
the photographers are losing out to the digital P&S and cell phone. We had a
good lock on the imaging market for 150 years. Today photojournalists are in
the same league as the buggy whip makers.

Incidentally, my son-in-law, a news anchor for an ABC affiliate TV station
in a major market was issued both a photo capable cell phone and a Kodak HD
pocket sized video camera. He is to snap photos and videos of news worthy
events whenever he comes across them. The pictures cannot be used on air
(yet) because that would violate the news cameramen's union contract but
they are prominently displayed on the station's web site. The station has
fired most of its studio camera operators, camera positioning being done by
computer controlled by the director.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman) ([Leica] Death of photojournalism)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Death of photojournalism)