Subject: [Leica] Help! M8 color bal. prob., et al
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 08:11:01 +1000

It is a brightness sensor. It has some functions for vignetting correction.
One intended use was for calculating the set aperture  (comparing exposure
information and this sensor's measurement). This proved to be too inaccurate
and that is why the EXIF only include maximum aperture information (for
coded lenses).