Subject: [Leica] Contax 645 - a superb camera!!
From: wanderjan at gmail.com (Jan Decher)
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 12:56:26 -0400

Mark,

There was nothing "junky" about the Contax 645.  Yes, 6x4.5 is a compromise
as a film format and I wish Kyocera had made it a square "Contax 66".
The problem for Contax 645 fans like myself was that Kyocera abandoned the
system.  I have yet to find again  as easy to use and modular an MF system
as the C. 645 and perfect (!) MF lenses like the 3.5/55mm Distagon and 4/120
Makro Planar I had with the Contax 645.

Kyocera should have offered their own digital back for the Contax 645 right
away and also a full frame or at least APS-sized 35mm SLR based on their
"Aria" body, but with the N-mount, which could accept the 645 lenses via a
fully electronic adapter.

The N & 645 systems were truly great (I have many Provia slides to prove
it), but were introduced too half-heartedly.

Jan (former Contax C/Y, N & 645 user)

=======
Full frame 645?
On the list of cameras the P65+ back works on is a Mamiya RZ and my
Hasselblad V plus a slew of technical Linhof, Cambo, cameras.
Most my photographer friends stuck to Hasselblads never trading them in for
junky Mamiya, Bronica and Contax 645's.
I have 645 backs for my Hasselblad system but to me those are CROPPED backs.
Full frame to me is 55x55mm or close to it - the Hasselblad format.
When they come out with a 55x55mm format medium format digital back that to
me will be the first full frame medium format digital back.
I bet there are plenty of people of my generation who share this view. I'm
58. Who who did not shift to 645 but stuck with squares.
http://rabinergroup.com/ScooterPages/Terrence.html
Mark William Rabiner