Subject: [Leica] IMG: Information Needed on Cause of Lawn Circle
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 22:09:09 +0200

Hi Jim,

have you had very little rain recently?

This looks like what happens when some kind of structure is at shallow
depth below the surface. Both sides stiil get enough water from deeper
in the ground, but above the structure everything dies off. Very useful
for archaeologists but not so good for a nice green lawn.

Could be an old wall or foundations, the rim of an old pond (hard packed
clay), an old farm building or similar.

If there's been a lot of construction work with pretty deep foundations
being dug or pipelaying in the neighbourhood, it could mean that the
groundwater table has fallen.

We had a similar effect in our garden caused by "lenses" of clay and
sand. These filled with rainwater and made circular areas that wobbled
like quicksand. I had to dig a criss-cross of trenches almost 3-feet
deep through the garden to get it draining properly.

Cheers
Douglas