Subject: [Leica] Woodstock
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 19:05:48 -0400

Woodstock is part of my family lore.  My late uncle and aunt ran the Holiday
Inn where most of the acts stayed.

Years later, when I asked my uncle about his memories of Woodstock, he
replied, "Jimmy, that was the best bar business I ever wrote.  Those people
drank like fish.  I said, 'screw New York State' and kept the bar open day
and night.  They were flying in the acts with helio-copters on the front
lawn."

My uncle also said, "There was some rock group there called the Jefferson
Airplane who said they wanted to run a tab.  I didn't know them from Adam,
so I asked for a credit reference.  They said to call their contact at the
Bank of America, so I called California and asked the guy if they were good
for the tab.  He started laughing and said, 'Whatever the tab, add three
zeros--they won't know the difference!"

At one point, Grace Slick was running around the Holiday Inn dining room
with a fringe vest--and nothing underneath.  My late grandmother Sadie was
horrified, and tried to shove cloth napkins over the vest saying, 'Put
something on, you'll catch pneumonia.'"

That summer I was ten years old, and suffering through my first year of
overnight camp.  I came back with memories of horrible food and about ten
thousand mosquito bites.  As I recall I had a brownie Instamatic 44, which I
used about once.

Adulthood has been much, much better.

Jim Shulman
Wynnewood, PA