Subject: [Leica] S2 and Dealers Issues
From: ejcaliguri at comcast.net (Edward Caliguri)
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 13:47:47 -0400

You both have some great points. Similar to the Aussie point of view,
and I suppose it can be valid here in the US as elsewhere - I am
concerned about even 'Medium' size dealers and their ability to just
afford to carry the S2 items along with all their other inventory.
They can't Poney Up the Dough - period - to satisfy Hassie users and
people who need to rent (or buy) an S2. In the Boston MA area dealer
loyalty may be non-existant on this, because B&H is just 4 hrs away in
NYC, an hour from me in CT.

I guess the point I am (poorly) trying to make, with some difficulty
articulating, is this;  I know a few 'Deep Pocket Amateurs' who are
waiting for an S2, and more than a few pros who want to rent on a
regular basis. Where will they go to buy/rent? In the long run, not
local. Buyers won't have to wait for items if ordering from NYC, and
renters can be assured the NY stores will have what they need 'a
FedEx' away. So although the smaller Boston MA and Hartford CT dealers
will desperately wish to satisfy these shooters, they can't afford to
do so. Eventually there will be a wide gulf between NYC, Chicago, and
LA 'Superstores' and some GREAT medium to large dealers all over the
country, even world. Will my - or your - favorite dealer be hurt by
this since Leica may alienate dealers with these policies? As a result
will Leica's idea of cutting in to Hassy or Mamiya MF terratory be
severely diminished?
Ed

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] S2 and Dealers Issues)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] S2 and Dealers Issues)