Subject: [Leica] M8 (and water)
From: steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour)
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 08:52:26 -0700
References: <1751219421-1250764431-cardhu_decombobulator_blackberry.rim.net-1817417149-@bxe1035.bisx.prod.on.blackberry> <4A8E608F.3050002@hale-pohaku.net> <FF5A66BB-40E3-48E3-AA96-44C7355BB8C4@frozenlight.eu> <23a0a61f0908210347q7eb3a64atb88a6c1b134dc9ff@mail.gmail.com> <443AB36EC9613B4A93DCC51E16BA4DF98D14CFF2@LONMAIL.mbam.local> <4A8E810A.7070104@gmx.de> <57C4C009-A123-4FC1-A954-E5754194713E@comcast.net>

On Aug 21, 2009, at 6:49 AM, Richard Taylor wrote:

> On space gear we conformally coat electronics boards with a clear
> soft plastic to prevent this kind of problem, among others.    The
> problem with doing it is that it makes repairs devilishly difficult.
>
> I don't know what Nikon and Canon do to protect their cameras but my
> D300 and it's lenses have taken a lot of salt water splashes over
> the last couple of years without complaint.  I dry off the splashes
> as soon as they occur and, when I think of it, give it a freshwater
> bath with a damp paper towel.  Seems to be enough.

I agree, and reading the many posts about water and the M8 over the
last few days, leads me to the strong suspicion that humidity and
condensation resulting from changing temperatures, are critical
factors, possibly more capable of damaging the electronics than rain...

Steve

> Regards,
>
> Dick
>

> On Aug 21, 2009, at 7:12 AM, Douglas Sharp wrote:
>
>> Leica?s innovative new electronics - the disintegrated circuit.
>>
>> That circuit board looks as if a bead of sweat from the assembler
>> dropped on it. I took apart an old flashgun the other day, its
>> electronics were cast in epoxy - why did people stop doing that?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Douglas
>>
>> Neil Beddoe wrote:
>>> I love my little M6 and its fantastically over-hyped and over-
>>> priced lenses but why anyone would buy a digital Leica
>>> depreciation box has always been beyond me.  Now I hear they die
>>> if someone breathes damp breath on them!
>>> I look forward to the day when they sell for ?150 so I can have a
>>> play with one.  Nobody else will buy them because hardened Leica
>>> users will blow their thousands on the latest gizmo (if the S2
>>> doesn't bring the company down first) and nobody else will buy one
>>> because they won't be able to afford the lenses.
>>>
>>> Neil

warm regards, Steve
steve.barbour at gmail.com

Replies: Reply from lug at steveunsworth.co.uk (Steve Unsworth) ([Leica] M8 (and water))