Subject: [Leica] Mark has a Nokton f1.1 :-) Hints and tips anyone?
From: mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope)
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 20:26:30 +0100

TED GRANT wrote:
> Hi Mark,
> It, the Nokton and Noctilux are lenses that require extra work at first in
> getting the feel for weight ratio compared to most other lenses. Many have
> purchased and returned the heavies simply because they find them" way too
> heavy!" Unfortunately their loss!  Hell just hang an M6 with Noctilux
> around your neck on an 8 hour shoot, then you'll eally ind out how heavy
> it is! :-) Oh yeah along with two more M6's with different lenses!
> I've used my Noctilux since they were first available in Canada 1970's ??
> something and was given the opportunity to buy the first one available.
> Still have it on the M8! And obviously when I've used it on a digital it's
> still great for magical moments!
> In buying the Noctilux it was to use it at f 1.0 as often as possible.
> Otherwise why bother paying the money they cost and be stupid using it
> stopped down to f8.0 and be there?
> I could never understand some years ago complaints on the LUG about
> shooting wide open and difficulties of getting the subject in focus. So
> they stopped down and the lens wasn't too bad. How stupid could that be?
> To pay $ 3-$4 thousand dollars or more for basically the worlds best
> fastest lens, then stop it down! Sure there are times it's stopped down, I
> have a 3X ND filter so I can use it outside when I want to get rid of a
> crappy background by using as wide an aperture as possible. Again f.1.0
> when possible. Of course having a shutter speed of 1/8000 on the M8 is
> helpful in this case outdoors.
> To acquire a high in focus nearly every time wide open there is only one
> method of doing so! Practice, practice and use it again and again as often
> as you can wide open! And eventually you'll be knocking off  f. 1.1 images
> as though it's High Noon at the OK Corral!
> It's wonderful for dropping ugly or distracting backgrounds out of focus.
> And making your main subject pop off the screen or page in print!
> It takes time and handling practice far more than any other lens, but if
> you stay the working with it course you'll never regret you made the
> purchase!
> Dr, ted  :-)

Hi Ted,

thanks for your advice.  It's a hefty combination, but having said that,
it's only 3 ounces heavier than Karin's Canon 350D and 17-85mm zoom, so
that means it's way lighter than a 20D or 5D with zoom.

The lens got a darned good thrashing today at the Fairford Traction
Engine Rally.  My hit rate isn't very high.  Yet... It doesn't help when
the subjects keep moving!
However, I think I have a couple of shots that I'm hoping will be worth
printing.

I came to the conclusion this afternoon that a ND filter was needed -
1/8000 at f1.1 phew!  I did stop the lens down a few times, but tried
wherever possible to shoot at f1.1  as like you I feel it does defeat
the object of having a lens like this and shooting at smaller apertures.
Mind you, the Nokton does perform well as a general purpose 50: so
there's no need to take another 50 along.

I think I am just starting a long and happy love affair with this lens...

Best wishes

Mark

--

Mark Pope,