Subject: [Leica] Mark has a Nokton f1.1 :-) Hints and tips anyone?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (TED GRANT)
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 10:35:00 -0700

Mark Pope offered:
> Agreed.? At least in the first few weeks while I get used
> to the lens. I already think it's a lens which will need work / practice
> get the best out of it.<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Mark,
It, the Nokton and Noctilux are lenses that require extra work at first in
getting the feel for weight ratio compared to most other lenses. Many have
purchased and returned the heavies simply because they find them" way too
heavy!" Unfortunately their loss!? Hell just hang an M6 with Noctilux around
your neck on an 8 hour shoot, then you'll eally ind out how heavy it is! :-)
Oh yeah along with two more M6's with different lenses!
I've used my Noctilux since they were first available in Canada 1970's ??
something and was given the opportunity to buy the first one available.
Still have it on the M8! And obviously when I've used it on a digital it's
still great for magical moments!
In buying the Noctilux it was to use it at f 1.0 as often as possible.
Otherwise why bother paying the money they cost and be stupid using it
stopped down to f8.0 and be there?
I could never understand some years ago complaints on the LUG about shooting
wide open and difficulties of getting the subject in focus. So they stopped
down and the lens wasn't too bad. How stupid could that be? To pay $ 3-$4
thousand dollars or more for basically the worlds best fastest lens, then
stop it down! Sure there are times it's stopped down, I have a 3X ND filter
so I can use it outside when I want to get rid of a crappy background by
using as wide an aperture as possible. Again f.1.0 when possible. Of course
having a shutter speed of 1/8000 on the M8 is helpful in this case outdoors.
To acquire a high in focus nearly every time wide open there is only one
method of doing so! Practice, practice and use it again and again as often
as you can wide open! And eventually you'll be knocking off? f. 1.1 images
as though it's High Noon at the OK Corral!
It's wonderful for dropping ugly or distracting backgrounds out of focus.
And making your main subject pop off the screen or page in print!?
It takes time and handling practice far more than any other lens, but if you
stay the working with it course you'll never regret you made the purchase!
Dr, ted? :-)

Replies: Reply from mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope) ([Leica] Mark has a Nokton f1.1 :-) Hints and tips anyone?)
Message from jsmith342 at gmail.com (Jefffery Smith) ([Leica] Mark has a Nokton f1.1 :-) Hints and tips anyone?)
Message from mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope) ([Leica] Mark has a Nokton f1.1 :-) Hints and tips anyone?)