Subject: [Leica] leopards and tabbies . . . I'm just sayin.
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 19:04:55 -0400

On Aug 27, 2009, at 12:29, Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> My experience is more limited (Mac since 2006) but equally good--no
> repairs needed on either my G4 Powerbook or my 1-year old iMac, and
> I do not recall EVER having to reboot either computer except when
> installing software that requires a restart (of course, I do put
> them to sleep or shut  them down when not using them overnight or
> while I am at work).

All computers will break. It's just a matter of time. :) The main
question is whether it will obsolete before it breaks.

What's important for me is that I can take my (broken) MacBook Pro
into an Apple store and have it fixed within 24 hours (usually 6 hours
with their ProCare plan). I make my living writing S/W so I can't
afford to have my machine disappear for 3-5 days for servicing.

Apple's service is very good which is what really count. I've had a
LCD screen replaced (dust behind the front surface), DVD drive
replaced, keyboard replaced, and battery replaced under their extended
warranty without any hassles. Dell use to offer this level of service
about 10 years ago.

> It is not surprising that when there is a major OS upgrade, there is
> discussion on how our software, especially Adobe, is impacted. And
> by coincidence this happened in the same week when Marc was getting
> used to his new glossy laptop screen :-)

Let's not forget the disaster that was Vista. :)

Computers are tools, not a religion. Please!

> And I certainly join George in wishing Sonny's kitties a speedy
> recovery.

Now that is the important part of life.

Regards,
Spencer