Subject: [Leica] See the video about the M9 at Solms? (long & boring)
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 22:05:45 +1000

Hi Dennis, that is very detailed and much more than I knew about the sensor
structures. I suspect that the camera designs and detail have been
influenced by a conservative approach to reduce risk with this project,
given finite resources and time frame perhaps? Development was concurrent
with the S2. On the sensor shimming, my understanding is that the tolerances
are smaller  (for focus accuracy for example) with the M8 and M9 than with
cheaper dSLRs. That would be consistent with the way Leica does business
with lens design and manufacture too.
No doubt , as the new camera becomes available in quantity some comparisons
will emerge against the 24x36 dSLRs. The results will trump theory as
always.

I've just been provided with about 50 DNGs & JPEGs from the new camera so I
am looking forward to producing some large prints from those initial
results  for a first look.

As an aside I didn't find the camera assembly video boring at all. I was
lucky to physically see some of the processes in June and quite suprised
that Leica has made public more of their processes. I found the interview
with Stefan Daniel of great interest as well.  You need to be interested in
Leica of course

--
Cheers
Geoff