Subject: [Leica] R-Series Owners Stranded?
From: kapner at earthlink.net (Leonard J Kapner)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 19:45:22 -0700

Forgive me if this issue has been raised and discussed to conclusion,
but I'm at a point with my photography where this question is of
importance to me.

I am a long-time Leica user and fine art photographer, working
primarily outdoors in the always fluid margin between civilization and
nature. I have an M9 on order. I chose to order it after dithering for
several years on a digital body to complement My M7 and full range of
lenses. I think I am glad I waited and have little doubt that I will
be pleased with my choice, for certain kinds of photography I enjoy
that are not in my "kill" zone.

But I also have a significant investment in R-series: Several M8s and
a range of prime lenses from 18-280mm. I was very happy a while back
when a Leica factory executive mentioned an R10 in development, only
to learn less than a year later that it had been decommitted. I have
tested the DMR solution extensively and find it clumsy, obsolescent
and wanting.

Now, I understand there is recently available an adapter line for
current Canon and Nikon full-frame bodies, as well as a Novoflex
solution to mate Leica lenses to micro/3rds format that preserves
aperture priority automation when used with Panasonic reflex digital
bodies. And there are rumors of some sort of subterranean project
involving Leica in the works, to bring us a full-frame reflex solution
that takes full advantage of the hard-coded R-series lenses.

To my mind, a solution of the best kind would be a Leica-designed full-
frame digital body, with all the functionality of the film R9, plus
focus confirmation. To use my R-series lenses to full advantage in the
kind of photography I enjoy most, I think I need little else.

To our expert commentators and Leica watchers on the list, what do you
think is the most likely probability for the R-series, going forward?
And if it's not a Leica-based solution, what's next best?

If you prefer, responses off line also would be welcome.

Len Kapner
kapner at earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] R-Series Owners Stranded?)