Subject: [Leica] R-Series Owners Stranded?
From: platoali at gmail.com (Platoali)
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 09:57:38 +0430

On Panj shanbe 26 Shahrivar 1388 07:39:22 Alastair Firkin wrote:
> Like you I too am feeling a bit "left in the lurch". I can understand
>  Leica's decision, but I'm not "happy" about it.
> The DMR was a good compromise and mine still works well, but it needs an
> "update". Leica's S Daniel said at the launch of the M9 that Leica could
>  not continue "swimming with the sharks" ie Nikon and Canon, but he did not
>  rule out R solutions in the future. In reality I think we are "in
>  trouble". I have not decided what to do, but clearly the choice will be S2
>  at huge expense. Stick with the DMR at no cost (for me) Canon or Nikon
>  body mixing lenses, or return to FILM!!!

That is what I did with my R9. Although I have a DMR. I find that taking
pictures with film is more creative. Recently I found a very good lab. And
with
very little developing and scanning cost ( less than a 2 dollar) I can have
my
pictures in digital era. They can also print my photos at a very good
quality.
Which I do more  with my negatives compared with my DNG files.

I thing many of the LUGers are doing this for years.( Michiel Fokkema for
example. )

Film is not as bad as I was thinking. Actually  digital work flow does not
work
for me. It requires very  good  calibrated display, quite a powerful
hardware
(which I currently don't have.) and very good software like Lightroom which
is
not available on my OS. ( I'm using Linux. There are alternatives like
Digikam
and gimp but not as easy as I would like. )

Anyway I like the surprise and anxiety when I'm receiving my photos from lab.

Bests
Ali Yazdi