Subject: [Leica] R-Series Owners Stranded - Yep!
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 12:06:44 -0400

Thirded...the more you use R lenses on a D700, the more automatic it
feels.

I'm saving up for an M9, though. I don't know if it's the full frame or
the fact that I won't have to buy filters (since each of my dozen M
lenses has a different filter size).

Much as I love my D700 and Leica lenses, I miss having a digital-M, too.
With the M9 I'll never feel the need to buy another camera. The
occasional FS:Rolleiflex that I happen to run across every so often,
doesn't count. What is it about a clean and inexpensive TLR I can't seem
to pass on? Is there a Rollei rehab for that sort of thing? Do I need
rehab if I still use them?

Every time I use a Rolleiflex I mutter how "only 12 frames per roll" can
be limiting." (No 220 for me!). Then I look at the results and wonder if
it's just the opposite. There's a mysterious beauty in square BW negs
that are just big enough you can appreciate the contact prints without
the aid of a loupe. Not to mention enlargements, which shouldn't stand
up to digital prints, but somehow do and then some.

Maybe it's the level of effort it takes to get the end result that makes
me appreciate them so. Either that or Leica doesn't have a monopoly on
mystique :-).

Not to rehash last century's lament, but I think deep down I'm a film
and darkroom guy. OTOH, maybe an M9 will finally convert me to the light
side.

Dave R