Subject: [Leica] Stock Photography
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 17:57:22 -0400

> Advertising IS maleficence in action.  Editorial is not so much
> better in my book, just promoting the rational.  It's easy to
> rationalize "making a living" doing just about anything.  Too bad
> that seems to be where the argument ends, that making a living
> justifies ignoring the ethical comportment of the industries we work
> in.  I can only wish I could choose which images could be stripped
> naked, exploited, and discarded and which ones could not.    The very
> idea of purposely making an image for that destiny turns my
> stomach.  Like a rack of ribs to a Buddhist.

I'm a vegetarian photographer of  eastern spiritual bent who has no idea
what " stripped  naked, exploited, and discarded "  means as I close my
third eye and try to imagine a picture this has happened to taken by me or
anyone else.
Advertizing photography often is quite good half the time better than what's
on the chincy gallery's walls in Chelsea. And often IS what's on those
walls. Or the MET or MOMA.
Irving Penn just died last week what was he doing stuff for the Sistine
chapel ceiling? He was a commercial photographer illustrating products to be
sold on the open market.  Capitalism at its finest. Often those products
were clothing but you name it.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich) ([Leica] Stock Photography)
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Stock Photography)