Subject: [Leica] Technology, Ted and Tina
From: dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella)
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 08:27:57 -0500

I was at MoMA three weeks ago and was marveling at the poor technical
quality (by today's standards) of some of the world's most famous
photographs from the turn of the century.  In fact, some of the
pictures weren't that good either.  This prompts two comments to
points that Ted and Tina made.

1.      It's one thing to say - at (or near) the retirement end of your
career - that it would have been nice to have advanced technologies
fifty years ago.  But where those technologies democratize
photography, it's another thing to say you would have survived - or
even started - in the field.  What we see as great photos throughout
the ages were largely filtered by barriers to entry.  Materials were
expensive, not everyone owned a good camera, and not everyone knew how
to print.  Today, with the accessibility of digital photography and
publishing on the internet, it is clear that many, many people have
raw talent on what have once been called a high level, and the market
is tough.  And people who are not full-time photographers are dumping
literally millions of pictures into the market and are doing so at cut-
rate prices.  Even though a large proportion is noise, it still exerts
downward pressure on pricing.

2.      It's a bit of an overgeneralization to suggest that what is true of
a commercial photographic practice is true of people who pursue
photography for enjoyment (or sale of physical prints).  If production
of color stock photos is the goal, then digital photography wins hands
down.  Once you wander outside of areas that need mass production or
accelerated completion, the questions change.  Should Adobe
Illustrator displace all hand drawing for people who aren't commercial
artists?  After all, it's more efficient and doesn't require exposure
to India ink.  Shouldn't we replace watercolor painting with
Photoshopped photographs? Maybe you've decided that darkroom work
isn't for you - but there are plenty of people who use computers all
day and don't want to use them for leisure activities.  And for "fine-
art" sales?  I'll offer this observation based on several years of
work on the exhibition committee of nonprofit gallery: in some
markets, it's very difficult to sell photography at all, and
conventional forms of photography (b/w, C-prints, etc.) sell far
better than inkjet work.  Rightly or wrongly, potential buyers seem to
be a bit put off by the identification on a price card of a technology
that they associate with an office supply store.

And one other comment (directed to a slightly broader group):

3.      Calling "elitism" a motivation for darkroom work in the context of
the LUG is absurd and hypocritical.  This is a group that uses $7,000
digital cameras, $3,000 lenses, $2,000 inkjet printers, $100-a-
cartridge archival ink, and $2-a-sheet rag inkjet paper and talks
about how great they are... so it would call a group "elitist" that is
using basically free equipment to manually print pictures the same way
people have done for about 100 years?  "Troglodytic" may be a more
appropriate adjective, but it's not one that Leica users on the whole
have any right to call anyone.

Sorry to be such a grouch, but I've been drinking IKEA coffee at
home.  It's possibly made from roasted ground particle board.

Dante

NO ARCHIVE