Subject: [Leica] Migrating to Mac
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 16:21:32 -0500

Tina,

This is what I do -

1/ Buy the laptop when you need it. :)

2/ Don't buy the cheapest/slowest laptop unless that one specifically
meet your needs. I usually buy one model up from the base model. The
non-base models sometimes will have better expendability. If you want
a 13" model right now, you will have to buy the cheapest one though.

3/ For MacBook (Pro), don't pay Apple for extra memory or bigger/
faster hard disk, it's usually cheaper to do the upgrade with
aftermarket parts when you need it. Memory in particular is extra
pricey from Apple for some reason related to greed.

4/ Buy the extended warranty just before the standard 1 year warranty
expires (postpone the expenses - better for cash flow).

5/ The Apple stores in Canada offer something called ProCare for $100/
year. I presume the same in the USA. If your machine ever breaks, and
they all break sooner or later, the store will service your machine
with ProCare the same day assuming they have the parts. Buy ProcCare
if and when you need it. :)

If you will never travel with the laptop, why not get a desktop (27"
iMac)? Cost about the same but it will probably last 6 years.
Electronics and bumps just don't get along.

The only thing the MacBook is lacking is some ways of connecting to
external SATA drives over a fast interface. My old MacBook use to have
a ExpressCard slot. The new MacBooks do not and I have a eSATA
ExpressCard adapter and memory card reader I can no longer use. :(

Regards,
Spencer