Subject: [Leica] IMG: Hello from Pakistan
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 08:57:15 -0500

Hi Hugh,

On Nov 5, 2009, at 0:17, Hugh Thompson wrote:

> Spencer - as I noted to Wendy, Pindy is crazy, but it is the same in
> most other towns and cities, Islamabad is the exception.

We spent very little time in Islamabad. It did not feel like Pakistan
at all. I much more preferred 'Pindi with the wonder bazaar. I had far
too little time for photos (with my M4P to bring this on topic :) at
the bazaar.

I never finished scanning the Kodachrome from those days and now I
realize I need to rescan them all. If anyone is interested, the
existing scans are here
<http://www.aotera.org/Cycling_the_Karakoram_Highway.html

> Yes, you are right, that is what they do for holes in the road, and
> then take for ever to do the repair.  One day I am going to do a
> little study on that.

Since there is no such thing as car insurance, any car accidents needs
to be resolved on the spot (financially). When it happened to our
guide, the owner of the vehicles (or representative) had to come all
the way from 'Pindi to resolve the repair costs in person (as in bring
cash). Only took about 8 hours for them to get there. By the way, no
tow trucks either. Just a nice barely-stout-enough rope for a 4 hour
tow through the mountains and desert.

Regards,
Spencer

Replies: Reply from hewthompson at mac.com (Hugh Thompson) ([Leica] IMG: Hello from Pakistan)