Subject: [Leica] Migrating to Mac
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 17:10:01 -0500

2009-11-09-16:21:32 Spencer Cheng:
> don't pay Apple for extra memory or bigger/faster
> hard disk, it's usually cheaper to do the upgrade with aftermarket parts
> when you need it. Memory in particular is extra pricey from Apple for
> some reason related to greed.

What he said. Most Macs (except in particular the Mini, which you have
to pry open in an odd way) are pretty easy to swap/upgrade mamory in,
and Apple's RAM prices are absurd. I usually buy machines with the least
possible memory, and buy a machinefull of matched memory from Crucial:

  http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx

The same is true to a lesser extent about hard drives. It's usually been
an almighty pain in the butt to swap laptop drives. It's insanely easy
in the Mac Pro towers, so for one of those, I'd get the cheapest disk
from Apple, and quite possibly immediately replace it (with something
bigger if I planned on one boot/data disk, or with something smallish
and crazy-fast like a Velociraptor or SSD if I planned to have a
dedicated boot/application disk).

Replies: Reply from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] Migrating to Mac)
Message from spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng) ([Leica] Migrating to Mac)