Subject: [Leica] Kodak discontinues some chemicals
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:17:54 -0500

> "One man's metol is another man's poison."
>
> I had that "I'm from another era" feeling when I saw Microdol-X on the
> list.  I used Microdol a lot in the 70s. Abandoned it for D76 when I
> realized I liked acutance better than I disliked a little grain.
>
> --Peter

Microdol was considered a dated formula for users even in the 60's but the
advent of it being used at an extreme dilution: 1:3 is what brought it back.
Trying to use it NOT at this extra dilution makes for very old fashioned
overtly soft results as its got more sulfite in it than any known formula.
Or formula that I ever heard of
125 grams.  A typical solvent developer like D76 has 100 grams.

But 1:3 Microdol has much less than 1:1 D76 so you get much sharper results.
With extreme edge effects.

Mark William Rabiner