Subject: [Leica] Kodak discontinues some chemicals
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 10:05:16 -0800

"One man's metol is another man's poison."

I had that "I'm from another era" feeling when I saw Microdol-X on the
list.  I used Microdol a lot in the 70s. Abandoned it for D76 when I
realized I liked acutance better than I disliked a little grain.

--Peter

> Indeed - chemistry in particular is very easy to DIY.  Making Xtol
> isn't so easy, but most everything else is no harder than following a
> recipe.
>
> Marty

> People just ad a tab of ascorbic acid to their D76 1:1 and they do fine
> from all I hear. Maybe even better. You can even use powdered ascorbic
> acid of
> some sort you might not get from a vitamin store but a chemical place.
> Xtol has Phenidone the D76  is Elon or Metol more poisonous but all in
> all a much sharper and better silver reducer than Phenidone.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Kodak discontinues some chemicals)
Reply from richard.lists at gmail.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] Kodak discontinues some chemicals)