Subject: [Leica] Lumix GF-1 ISO comparison to Canon G9 and Leica M8
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 13:31:08 -0500

Just uploaded to the Gallery and added to the Lumix ISO folder,

                http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/

a set of photos made at different ISOs with the G9 and the M8. Viewed at
maximum size, the noise and resolution appear ordered as one would expect
given the sensor sizes: M8 best, ISO-for-ISO, then Lumix, then G9. For
example, the M8 at 2500 looks comparable to the Lumix at 1600 and the G9
between 800 and 1600. I would have expected less difference between the Pana
and the Leica and more between it and the Canon. Interestingly, the Canon
has by far the least color noise of the three at ISOs high enough for noise
to become prominent. Its problem seems mostly to be luminance noise, if I
understand it correctly, with splotchiness and loss of resolution. Or it
seems to have low-spatial-frequency color noise, with large swathes of color
shifts in areas of smooth color and no detail, whereas the others have
high-frequency, grainy color noise.

Variations among the shots are due to the M8's different frame proportions
and different FOV (no 28mm lens, which would have been closest to the
Lumix's), different WBs, differing intensity and color of illumination from
the windows behind me, as well of course as different
sensors/electronics/algorithms.

Just for yucks I'll add some examples from the D700.

?howard

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Lumix GF-1 ISO comparison to Canon G9 and Leica M8)
Reply from s.dimitrov at charter.net (slobodan Dimitrov) ([Leica] Lumix GF-1 ISO comparison to Canon G9 and Leica M8)