Subject: [Leica] Odd digital M flash behavior
From: dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 00:18:23 -0500

Ted and Marty,

When you are shooting pictures of your own extended family, and among them
is a 91-year-old who almost didn't make it to this Christmas and may not
make it to the next, there is no redo, there is no second day of the
project, and no one is going to be very forgiving of failures, be they of
man or machine.  You can appreciate the consequences of getting burned by
not using a flash - including shadowed eye sockets, blue channel noise, and
inconsistent color balance across the frame.  I'm sure you can also
appreciate the consequences of shooting with an f/1.4 lens, not the least of
which is putting some members of groups squarely out of focus.  A lot of
this evades detection in the five seconds you have to check the frame (if
you even get that).

So you bring in a flash to push the light level into a comfort range for the
sensor and bring the aperture to a size that keeps everything in focus.
Electronic flash photography has now existed for more than 50 years, and if
Leica didn't believe in it, the company would not be out selling $600
flashes for the S2 and the M9.  Nor would it have developed a TTL and then a
digital TTL system (well, Metz probably did it for Leica).  Nor would it
have given Metz the serial codes for dedicated TTL ("GNC") function on the
Leica modules (Metz, in fact, makes the SF-24D and the SF-58).

I don't ask my M8 to autofocus, shoot at 64,000 ISO, or even compensate for
focus shift in lenses.  But I  do expect it to carry it its extremely
limited flash functionality without unpredictable behavior.

Dante

NO ARCHIVE