Subject: [Leica] Odd digital M flash behavior
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 11:08:21 -0600

I use Quantum 4i radio triggers and off camera flash (and Elinchrom
studio strobes) with the M8 regularly.

Certainly in the locations where the available light was less then
optimal I have no problem reaching for a flash for my few holiday snaps.

On the 20th, with Ann's larger family, it was all available light -
because the available light worked at reasonable ISO, shutter speeds
and f stops.
On the 24th, with Ann's kids and grandkids, I placed a Quantum T2
powered by a Tubo battery, in a soft octagon bounced off the ceiling,
triggered with the 4i.
Last evening, with Ann's Mom and Sister, I had my trusty, ancient
Sunpack Auto 30DX (with a small soft box) in my left hand and the M8
in my right, triggered with the 4i.
This evening, christmas with my daughter, son-in-law and
granddaughter, I'll repeat last evening's kit as it worked well

I also have the Metz 54 MZ-4 and Canon 580;
neither of which have an easy hook up to the radio triggers;
whereas the old Sunpack has a simple mini to pc connection.
The auto thyristor gives a fine exposure as long as it's pointed at
the subject.
And I retain ISO 160 fidelity - which is my reason for considering,
and using flash, when appropriate.

The whole TTL flash thing seems over rated to me
unless fully integrated into the system
as when using the 580 on the 5D with the auto focus lenses, auto
exposure
(don't have to think about anything except where to bounce the flash).

With the M8 and R8/DMR - auto thyristor - or manual
works best for me.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com