Subject: [Leica] No photography in Museum
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 23:48:22 -0500

> I've been interested in this topic for awhile.  Over at thomashawk.com
> it's a
> recurring topic.  I know many museums, including our own Denver Art Museum
> has
> a no flash policy on their collection and NO photography whatsoever on
> visiting exhibitions.  What I guess i don't understand is why?  I know the
> simple answer is that the museum or artist loaning the museum has forbade
> it
> but I would like to know why.  Frankly it's amazing that some of the modern
> art museums are the worst in this regard.  Half the stuff is crap anyway
> and
> they should only be so flattered that someone would actually wanna take a
> picture.  I mean really - a broom, a chair and a toilet seat cover isn't
> too
> hard to recreate without a photo - are they really that worried that
> someone
> is going to pass it off as their own.  Any one on the list with some deeper
> insight.
>
> ernie

Because they think a flash will fade it. If done hundreds of times a day.
And I bet that's a myth.
Or at least never been proven.

The guards at the MET* in NY have given up as they know the people have no
clue nor care as to how to turn off their flash.
They aure using flash to photograph forewords and the empire state building;
The skyline from across the Hudson river.

* The Metropolitan Museum of Art on 5th ave NY.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] No photography in Museum)
Reply from shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka) ([Leica] No photography in Museum)