Subject: [Leica] Yearbook and covers
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 19:22:40 -0500

> Given that it is Friday, given that we have been talking covers, I will
> relate my issue.
>
> When I was working on the FOM2 book (see his link to view preview and buy
> ie FS friday)
>
> <http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/259512>
>
> I ran into "what to put on the cover". After much soul searching, I
> decided to make a "homage" to the original book, which features a young
> pipe player. Given that the book celebrated 50 years post the original
> exhibition, the choice became obvious -- an old pipe player, and thus the
> cover.
>
> I have also thought that the image of HCB of a boy carrying bottles,
> fitted with Nathan's image (50 years later) of his Uncle Jo doing
> "similar" as well.
>
> So when you go to blurb to pick up the yearbook, you can also get the LUG
> project from 2000 to 2005.
>
> Happy New Year
>
> Alastair

In the original Family of man Eugene V. Harris?s Peruvian Flute Player,
which Steichen chose for the book?s cover image was much more than a cover
he was a motif repeated throughout the book I think with each chapter
heading. He became a kind of pic logo.

http://culturopoing.com/Uploads/img1736.jpg

Mark William Rabiner