Subject: [Leica] [OT] Scanning Kodachrome help
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 23:16:35 -0500

> Folks,
>
> I've been working on scanning some Kodachrome slides using mostly Vuescan
> as
> that is the one I am most familiar with. I've calibrated my scanner with an
> IT8 target I bought from Silverfast in both Vuescan and Silverfast. I've
> calibrated my MacBook Pro's screen with a Datacolor doohickey.
>
> One group of slide has been very hard to scan. I can't seem to get rid of
> an
> magenta'ish cast. The pictures was shot on an overcast day [Edith Cavell
> glacier, Jasper National Park (Canada)]. The original slide has a beautiful
> milky green tone to the water and the snow banks was almost white -
> definitely
> not magenta.
>
> If I correct for the snow, the water turns grey. If I correct for the
> water,
> the magenta cast gets worse.
>
> I've tried this in both Silverfast and Vuescan. Both gives similar results.
> It's driving me crazy.
>
> Here is an example of a very bad scan from Silverfast.
>
> <http://www.aotera.org/tmp/ice.jpg>
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Regards,
> Spencer

You could scan it in raw and just bring it out in Photoshop.
But!
Why not just select command B and desaturate the magenta a bit?
You could even select that one area of the snow which is the only problem
but I don't think you'd need to.
Oh! No Photoshop perhaps!

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] [OT] Scanning Kodachrome help)