Subject: [Leica] New 35mm cropped
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 19:26:18 -0500

> Mark Rabiner wrote:
>

> I'm going to make a quick expenditure to keep me going.
> A 35mm lens.
> And its not a Leica lens, I've already got a 35 ASPH Summicron.
> Its for my Nikon cropped DSLR's I'm using in the interim.
> <<<
>
> Or you could get a used M8 and use your 35mm Summiron ASPH and use the same
> lens on your future M9.5
>
> 35mm x 1.33 crop factor ~46.55mm
> f/2 and be there, and be sharp.  The image area you'd get with the 35mm
> ASPH on an M8 is bigger than the image area you'd get with the Nikon 35 on
> the D40

Is that what you're using Doug? An M8?
It will be interesting to see in a year what  they are selling for.
And who wants to buy them. It won't be me.  Will I know them or just read
about them?
An M9 I've VERY excited about.
On a 1-10 I'd give the M9 an 11.
When the price is plummeting amazingly like en elevator in a copper  mine on
a piece of  critical gear its not when I start thinking about investing in
it.
Its when I start being happy about not  being stuck with it in the first
place.

An M8 would get from me and many a pretty low grade at this point thank god
hindsight. The M8 is really all about hindsite.
And I almost got one when they first came out but for the Fates.
Yes many of us here have made some excellent images with them. And still
will in the near future perhaps.
But if ever there were was a camera which belongs squarely in the past as a
quirky historic footnote its a Leica M8. On that front will make an M5 look
like a rousing winner.
It kept the price of Leica glass up and kept some people using their Leica M
system  And I'm not selling mine Leica glass I'm getting them going again on
a Leica M9. However long it takes.
To me and many a  Leica M9 is a real camera.
An M8 is a first out experiment. With the best intentions.
I was glad to watch it go by.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] New 35mm cropped)
Reply from richard.lists at gmail.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] New 35mm cropped)